Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The End Is Nigh Means Nothing (part three)

I promise that this won't turn into a simple dumping ground for the ongoing "End is Nigh Means Nothing" story.......Or at least that's what I tell myself.



(interlude)

I hadn't any memory of how long it was since it happened.

You see, I was driving along the highway, listening to my iPOD blasting its 80s hardcore when it happened. When it HAPPENED. I saw a woman in the middle of my path and I swerved to avoid her. CRASH

Red and black and slivers of white.

I eventually woke up. I was sitting there, the airbag that had stopped my face from hitting the windshield now drained, wheezing. I righted myself and realized I was the source of the wheezing.

I slowly moved my limbs to check, in that post-accident sort of way. Nothing seemed bad, but my head and chest hurt.

Immediately, I remembered the night and what I was doing out here, so I reached for the gun, still under my seat where i had left it. It felt good to have this weapon in my hands.

I thought about the shuffling dead and what they would do to me once they found me out here, my car bashed against a tree. But i had no chance for that. As soon as I grabbed the gun and raised it, I saw a bright light overhead and heard a loud rumble. I passed out then.

When I awoke I was in some camp, where people walked around with guns of all sorts on them. I had no idea where I was or how I had gotten there, but they were living and talking.

One of them saw I was awake and went "Hey, snotface, get up!"

I had no idea, but I slowly pulled myself up to stand.

I was still reeling from everything and trying to catch a second to make sense, when the man came over to me and slapped the side of my head. THAT snapped me more awake then I had been in the last few days.

"Now, listen, and listen good" he went on "We need every last breathing fuck and here you are." He reached down and pushed something against my chest. I grabbed it and realized it was my gun.

I mumbled something then, but I cannot remember what, and the other man just looked at me and snarled, "Shoot for the head. We are outnumbered here by these gutbuckets and if they get in, shoot their heads. It seems to stop them."

I had not idea what was going on or what he was talking about, dizzy as I was. So I just stood there with what was probably a stupid look on my face.

He looked at me closer then, and I looked at him. Grizzled and exhausted, I could see it in his eyes. Like if he went to sleep at that moment, he would never wake up. Fear had been gnawing at him. And I suddenly remembered what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment