Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Are you kidding me?

While wandering around the mighty halls of Al Gore's internets....I found out about this...


What in the ring tailed rambling hell?

Half a million animals get killed to satisfy people's yen for what exactly? I mean.....compared with the modern meat industry, I am certain that this is a paltry sum of sentient beings slaughtered....but the meat industry doesn't claim to be spiritual.

Now don't get me wrong. Don't assume I think Hinduism is unspiritual because of this sorry festival. What I am saying is that anyone who participates in this festival is unspiritual. To destroy life in some attempt to gain favor with some god is about as far into whackjob lunacy as you can get. AND it isn't one lick spiritual.

You can offer counter arguments and tell me that I am being a snotty-nosed Westerner all you want. But I don't go killing animals and thinking that this makes me "right with the gods."

You can tell me that I simply fail to understand a centuries-old tradition that "gives succor and strength" to its people, but I say that just because something is a tradition doesn't make it good. Just because something makes people feel good, doesn't mean it's good. Just because some religious leaders say people should kill a bunch of animals doesn't mean they should.

I know this can start an argument, but really...who has the time? Sacrificing living beings is wrong. This is a basic value of mine. You can say that this is because I choose to see it this way. So what? At least I have chosen better.



No comments:

Post a Comment